Electrical Building Services Design Engineer
Working as part of an established building services (M&E) team, we require an Electrical Design Engineer (Consultant/Intermediate level) to support the Birmingham M&E project offering, working with and reporting into, our regional projects leads. This is an excellent opportunity to become part of our friendly and collaborative business within the successful and dynamic M&E team, which forms part of the wider Engineering and Sustainability Hub.
There will be opportunities for personal growth and developing new skills, working for high profile clients delivering exciting projects at leading properties and developments across the UK and Europe. Our project work covers various sectors including commercial office buildings, as well as retail, industrial and residential.
This role is for someone who is keen to establish themselves in a leading multi-disciplinary property consultancy practice and support the growth of our team.
The successful candidate will deliver packages of electrical design work across a variety of project instructions. Ideally you will have professional experience within the building services industry, with a consultant or contractors design background.
TFT’s Engineering and Sustainability hub provides national coverage to our network of UK offices. We are passionate about providing personalised career progression opportunities and development for all who work with us.
Key accountabilities and deliverables
- All aspects of electrical building services design (performance and detailed), including: Low voltage distribution, Lighting and emergency lighting, Lighting control systems and technologies, Small power, Containment and Fire detection and alarm and security systems
- Specification and technical report writing
- Production of electrical design drawings.
- Site inspections. Client and contractor meetings.
- Working knowledge of BS 7671 IET Wiring regulations
- Educated to degree level in engineering systems design (or comparable qualifications/career experience/on the job learning). c3 years post graduate experience.
- Three years post qualification experience.
- Licentiate Building Services Engineer (or similar equivalent)
- Communication skills with clients and contractors
- IT knowledge to include MS Word, Excel, and Project, plus design software such as Amtech, Dialux and Relux along with AutoCAD is preferable
- Working knowledge of IES, SBEM and Part L requirements
- Ability to co-ordinate workload and resources with engineers and graduates in the team
- Capability to learn technical due diligence and project monitoring skills through on the job experience, internal training and learning.
- Aspiration to work towards MCIBSE or keen to do so (full support will be given)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with people of all levels and seniority
- A flexible approach to work with a willingness to travel
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to prioritise and act on own initiative, working independently with guidance from line management
- Excellent organisational skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Commercial awareness and desire to be client facing
- Strong drive for personal growth, learning new skills and career progression
- Desire to support an existing successful service offering
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary offered plus benefits: discretionary bonus scheme, mobile phone & laptop to support flexible working, Private Health Care (after 6 months), Personal Accident cover, Life Assurance, 25 days holiday, 1 day charity leave and 1 wellbeing day per year.
- Cycle scheme and interest free season ticket loan and company contributory pension scheme on completion of probationary period.
TFT is the leading independent firm of Development, Built Asset & Engineering and Sustainability consultants. We place the wellbeing of people and the performance of buildings at the heart of everything we do.
We’re proud of our reputation for integrity and delivering work of the highest quality, blended with commercial pragmatism. We offer a strong track record across all commercial property sectors, advising investors, developers, occupiers and owners on maximising best property asset values. Diversity and strength in depth is important to us. Whether it be a technical thought leader with a career’s experience – or a recently qualified rising star – in today’s risk averse world you need people on your side with a reputation for diligence, transparency, intellect and commercial insight. Clients see TFT as large enough to provide the expertise and resources to get the best from their portfolios, and small enough for it to matter personally.
We have over 170 partners and employees operating from a network of offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Guildford, London, Manchester, Leeds and Southampton.
TFT is passionate about people development and will provide you with excellent and progressive career opportunities and sponsored learning.
We are BCorp Certified!
As TFT’s impact on the world has grown with the size of our business and the scale of our client services, we are determined that our future growth continues to be positive and sustainable. B Corp certification enables us to do just that, by recognising the highest standards of social and environmental performance and aligning our ongoing efforts with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. https://www.tftconsultants.com/tft-is-a-certified-b-corp/
DEI at TFT
At TFT we don’t aim to tick boxes and count numbers and percentages, we create an environment where anyone, from any background and life experience, can do their best work. We empower you to bring your full, authentic self to work. We are diverse by nature and inclusive by choice.
If you’re driven to perform, you’ll fit right in, we approach work fearlessly, learn quickly and improve constantly. A bright idea can come from anyone. We believe diversity drives innovation.
Our approach to diversity, equity and inclusion is simple – we embrace everyone. We wouldn’t approach a building survey in a one-dimensional way, so we don’t our people.Apply now