Senior Energy & Carbon Consultant
We have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Energy and Carbon Consultant to join our London office to help support the growth in demand for our UK-wide energy performance and net zero carbon services.
You will work in a positive environment, with full support, training and mentoring provided to achieve CIBSE Level 5 NDEA accreditation and Chartership (or Chartership through other relevant professional association) and have excellent career progression opportunities.
TFT’s Engineering and Sustainability hub consists of 21 engineers and consultants across our network of UK offices and provides a platform for professional and technical growth. You will have the opportunity to work on high profile commercial properties and developments for clients including abrdn, Derwent, Grosvenor, LaSalle, L&G, M&G and The Crown Estate.
The team is expanding, and this is an opportunity for a candidate to make an impact on key service lines within an established business, which is drive the decarbonisation of the built environment.
TFT is passionate about people development and will provide you with excellent and progressive career opportunities and sponsored learning.
- Work directly with our key clients to understand their energy performance and net zero carbon needs, which will include the provision of advice, regular client contacts and adding value by signposting new research/industry collaborative opportunities/events or raising awareness of best practice.
- Alongside your colleagues provide a leadership role within project teams to embed energy and sustainability best practice and promote innovation; this will include engaging with and inspiring teams to embrace sustainability in your own unique way in a range of environments including site visits, workshops, meetings, and problem-solving sessions.
- Undertake and manage energy performance certification projects (EPC, MEES, DEC, ESOS etc.), including building surveys and the assessment of evidence submitted, create and update building simulation models using IES VE software.
- Undertake dynamic simulation modelling required to address environmental assessments’ credit requirements, such as TM54, TM52, passive design, LZC studies, etc.
- Carry out appraisals of existing buildings and new developments as part of technical due diligence for investors, focusing on key energy and carbon considerations such as MEES compliance, net zero carbon and operational energy performance.
- Working closely with your colleagues, assess and model the performance of developments and provide operational energy data for whole life carbon appraisals and when necessary, produce accompanying reports.
- Assist in the development of other members of the Engineering and Sustainability Hub in the principles of Energy and Carbon, including use of dynamic simulation modelling and other tools, through on the job learning and coaching.
- Draft requirements for tender documentation for contractors when required.
- Alongside your colleagues support the development of climate change resilience strategies that will address both the chronic impacts of climate change on energy demand and cost over time at an asset level.
- We encourage our team members to undertake CPD and in shaping the industry conversation and as such we support your participation in industry events, working groups, and attendance at networking opportunities.
- We will support you in developing your networking and BD capabilities and encourage that you draw on your network of contacts, proactively engage in business development and promote TFT.
- Preparing case studies, award submission content and blogs.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience within an engineering and energy and carbon consultancy environment.
- Degree in mechanical/electrical engineering, environmental engineering, sustainable design and construction, or similar. Ideally, an MSc in an energy and low carbon related course.
- Be commercially minded, with 3 to 5 years’ experience of working with real estate investors, developers and occupiers.
- Hands-on experience of delivering complex projects within the built environment, building services or engineering, and development of low and zero carbon energy strategies. Good understanding of building services, their operation and applicability.
- Ability to assess technical data and architectural drawings. Competency in AutoCAD, Microsoft Office packages is essential. Knowledge of Revit, Google SketchUp, Python, MATLAB, VBA, Rhino or similar would be beneficial.
- Ideally, be an accredited CIBSE LCEA Level 5 assessor and have 3 to 5 years of associated experience; an expert in the use of IES VE.
- Extensive knowledge of energy modelling including asset and operational ratings/assessments, UK energy and sustainability policy framework and legislation, Building Regulations.
- Experience in delivering Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) assessments, providing domestic and non-domestic Part L compliance advice.
- Ability to help to create and build successful client relationships.
- Demonstrable understanding of M&E systems within buildings, including practical implementation of low energy and carbon design.
- Understanding of Revit and BIM.
Skills and behaviour
- Must be able to work as part of a team, but be self-motivating and work independently when necessary
- Confident communicator both verbally and in writing
- Driven and ambitious to achieve
- Thorough understanding of the needs and demands of a wide range of people and how to meet and exceed their expectations
- Accurate with high attention to detail
- Ideally strong analytical and mathematical skills
- A flexible approach to work with a willingness to travel
- Excellent organisational skills
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to develop commercial awareness and desire to be client facing
- Full UK driving licence
Competitive salary offered plus benefits: discretionary bonus scheme, mobile phone & laptop to support flexible and hybrid working, Private Health Care (after 12 months), Personal Accident cover, Life Assurance, 25 days’ holiday, flexible working opportunities and one day a year charity leave.
Cycle scheme, interest free season ticket loan and company pension scheme on completion of probationary period.
TFT is the leading independent firm of Development, Built Asset & Engineering and Sustainability consultants. We place the wellbeing of people and the performance of buildings at the heart of everything we do.
We’re proud of our reputation for integrity and delivering work of the highest quality, blended with commercial pragmatism. We offer a strong track record across all commercial property sectors, advising investors, developers, occupiers and owners on maximising best property asset values. Diversity and strength in depth is important to us. Whether it be a technical thought leader with a career’s experience – or a recently qualified rising star – in today’s risk averse world you need people on your side with a reputation for diligence, transparency, intellect and commercial insight. Clients see TFT as large enough to provide the expertise and resources to get the best from their portfolios, and small enough for it to matter personally.
We have over 150 partners and employees operating from a network of offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Guildford, Leeds, London, Manchester and Southampton.