Mechanical Building Services Design Engineer
An excellent opportunity to become part of our friendly and collaborative business within the successful and dynamic M&E team, which forms part of the wider Engineering and Sustainability Hub.
Working as part of an established building services (M&E) team, we require a mechanical design engineer to support the London M&E project offering, working with and reporting into, our regional projects lead.
There will be opportunities for personal growth and developing new skills, working for high profile clients delivering exciting projects at leading properties and developments across the UK and Europe. Our project work covers various sectors including commercial office buildings, as well as retail, industrial and residential.
This role is for someone who is keen to establish themselves in a leading multi-disciplinary property consultancy practice and support the growth of our team.
The successful candidate will deliver packages of mechanical design work across a variety of instructions, with a focus on projects that progress our clients decarbonisation aspirations. Ideally you will have professional experience within the building services industry, with a consultant or contractors design background.
You will work in a positive environment, with full support, training and mentoring provided to achieve CIBSE Chartership.
TFT’s Engineering and Sustainability hub provides national coverage to our network of UK offices. We are passionate about providing personalised career progression opportunities and development for all who work with us.
Key accountabilities and deliverables
- Work in conjunction with the existing Engineering and Sustainability (E&S) team, reporting to the mechanical Associate Director.
- Support the technical delivery of engineering systems (both detailed and performance design basis), for projects within our client’s key sectors. This shall include all aspects of mechanical services design including air conditioning, ventilation, domestic services and public health design.
- Attend site meetings, produce well-written technical reports and presentations for clients and projects that are engaging and balanced with infographics.
- Lead mechanical input on individual projects assigned by the team lead.
- Undertake surveys and provide technical input to MEP projects.
- Support the Energy and Carbon team to deliver EPC & MEES and NZC. This may include IES modelling, as well as review of feasibility of M&E improvements.
- Collaborate with the E&S hub’s mechanical engineering team to identify and develop best practice. This is to include workflows as well as standard templates and documents.
- Assist in preparing budget cost estimates for project designs.
- Ensure successful delivery of design and monitoring projects working alongside the wider MEP team.
- Drive individual financial performance in line with agreed targets.
- Begin to build and manage individual pipeline.
- Contribute to the continued success of the London project team, collaborating and working with our energy and carbon and sustainability consultants to support our clients decarbonisation strategies.
- We encourage our team members to undertake CPD and in shaping the industry conversation and as such we support your participation in industry events, working groups, and attendance at networking opportunities.
- BSc/BEng (Hons) or MSc/MEng Engineering degree with work experience in a building consultancy (or comparable qualifications/career experience/on the job learning).
- Interest in sustainability and net zero carbon (ideally with some experience in sustainable design).
- Three years post qualification experience.
- Ideally MCIBSE. or working towards accreditation – support will be provided to achieve this.
- Hands-on experience of delivering projects within the built environment, building services or engineering, and development of low and zero carbon energy strategies. Good understanding of building services, their operation and applicability.
- Ability to assess technical data and architectural drawings. Competency in AutoCAD, Microsoft Office packages is essential. Knowledge of Revit, MS Project, and mechanical design software including IES and ability to undertake hand calculations is required. Knowledge of Google SketchUp (or equivalent), Python, VBA or similar would be beneficial, but is not vital.
- Working knowledge of IES, SBEM and Part L requirements
- Ability to co-ordinate workload and resources with engineers and graduates in the team
- If not already achieved, an aspiration to work towards Chartered Engineer status or keen to do so (full support will be given)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with people of all levels and seniority
- A flexible approach to work with a willingness to travel
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to prioritise and act on own initiative, working independently with guidance from line management
- Excellent organisational skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Commercial awareness and desire to be client facing
- Strong drive for personal growth, learning new skills and career progression
- Desire to support an existing successful service offering
- Specification and report writing skills.
- Working knowledge of UK standards.
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
What’s in it for you?
Competitive salary plus benefits: discretionary bonus scheme, mobile phone & laptop to support flexible working, Private Health Care (after 6 months), Personal Accident cover, Life Assurance, 25 days holiday, 1 day charity leave and 1 wellbeing day per year. Company pension after 3 months.
Cycle scheme and interest free season ticket loan on completion of probationary period.
We are BCorp Certified!
As TFT’s impact on the world has grown with the size of our business and the scale of our client services, we are determined that our future growth continues to be positive and sustainable. B Corp certification enables us to do just that, by recognising the highest standards of social and environmental performance and aligning our ongoing efforts with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. https://www.tftconsultants.com/tft-is-a-certified-b-corp/
DEI at TFT
At TFT we don’t aim to tick boxes and count numbers and percentages, we create an environment where anyone, from any background and life experience, can do their best work. We empower you to bring your full, authentic self to work. We are diverse by nature and inclusive by choice.
If you’re driven to perform, you’ll fit right in, we approach work fearlessly, learn quickly and improve constantly. A bright idea can come from anyone. We believe diversity drives innovation.
Our approach to diversity, equity and inclusion is simple – we embrace everyone. We wouldn’t approach a building survey in a one-dimensional way, so we don’t our people.
TFT is the leading independent firm of Development, Built Asset & Engineering and Sustainability consultants. We place the wellbeing of people and the performance of buildings at the heart of everything we do.
We’re proud of our reputation for integrity and delivering work of the highest quality, blended with commercial pragmatism. We offer a strong track record across all commercial property sectors, advising investors, developers, occupiers and owners on maximising best property asset values. Diversity and strength in depth is important to us. Whether it be a technical thought leader with a career’s experience – or a recently qualified rising star – in today’s risk averse world you need people on your side with a reputation for diligence, transparency, intellect and commercial insight. Clients see TFT as large enough to provide the expertise and resources to get the best from their portfolios, and small enough for it to matter personally.
We have over 180 employees operating from a network of offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Guildford, London, Manchester, Leeds and Southampton.
TFT is passionate about people development and will provide you with excellent and progressive career opportunities and sponsored learning.