Edward Street Quarter, Brighton (Build to Rent)
M&G Real Estate
Edward Street Quarter is a mixed-use scheme in the centre of Brighton, comprising 168 residential apartments, 16,684sq m of commercial space and 1,000sq m of flexible space. TFT is providing Project Monitoring services for the forward-funding of Block D, a mixture of 1-3 bed residential apartments (75 units) and two retail units, across 6,768sq m.
The apartments will be retained by our investor client, M&G, and operated as build-to-rent. There are several amenity spaces which will be fit out to enhance the residential space, requiring input from the investor. TFT is monitoring the developer and its team throughout the build, as well as undertaking monthly valuations and authorising drawdowns. As M&G is one of a number of stakeholders involved in the scheme, we review and agree the breakdown of costs across the wider development. TFT is undertaking the following key roles, over and above typical monitoring services:
- Review and comment on RIBA Stage 4 developed design, specifically M&E
- Leading the variation and approval process, facilitating numerous investor-led variations
- Procuring the appointment of a design team and driving the programme for the fit-out of the amenity areas – including critical review of the developer’s proposals
- Making representations on behalf of M&G in connection with evolving design and changes in statute
- Facilitating sample approval and coordinating decision process
- Acting as M&G’s representative in connection with proposed design changes, material substitutions, and programme changes
The scheme is also being praised for its air-purifying initiatives, including CO2-absorbing paints and environmentally-friendly building materials, three predominantly green spaces, green roofs and habitat features such as bird boxes and stripped tree logs. You can read more about these green initiatives here.